Louisiana Sales Tax Disaster Refunds Available

There is now assistance for taxpayers impacted by the recent, disastrous floods. Louisiana taxpayers can claim refunds for state sales taxes paid on personal property destroyed by flood water in Parishes declared a federal disaster area. The team at Broussard Poché, LLP want you to be aware of what’s available.

According to the Louisiana Department of Revenue, “Refunds are available for property lost during storms and flooding that affected the state in March and August of 2016.”

To qualify for funds, losses must meet the following criteria:

  • The loss was suffered by a Louisiana taxpayer on property used in or about the individual’s home, apartment, or homestead which is located in Louisiana; property owned by corporations, partnerships, or any type of business does not qualify for a sales tax refund
  • The destroyed property must have been movable at the time of its purchase and at the time of its destruction; examples are clothing, furniture, televisions, etc.; motor vehicles are not eligible
  • The taxpayer must have paid Louisiana state sales tax on the purchase of the destroyed property

Please note that refunds are equal to the state sales tax paid on the original purchase of the destroyed property. And that refunds are issued for unreimbursed losses only.

Since the August 2016 floods, the following parishes have been declared federal disaster areas: Acadia, Ascension, Avoyelles, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Evangeline, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson Davis, Lafayette, Livingston, Pointe Coupee, St. Helena, St. Landry, St. Martin, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Vermillion, Washington and West Feliciana.

Here is a link to forms and instructions you will need to apply for the refund: Form R-1362 Natural Disaster Claim for Refund of State Sales Taxes Paid (R-1362D and R-1362S are also contained in this form) and Form R-1362i Instructions Natural Disaster Claim for Refund.

If you need any help understanding or applying for the tax refund, contact your tax advisor. The experts at Broussard Poché, LLP can help you, just give us a call.